COMMUNITY FORESTRY EDUCATIONAL SERIES
We have reached maximum capacity for enrollment. Please stay tuned for our next series.
Thanks to the generosity of the Rosa F. Keller Foundation and the Mid-City Neighborhood Organization, we are hosting our first Community Forestry Educational Series! Special thanks to our event partner, the LSU AgCenter.
When: May 23-24, 30-31, 5:30-8pm. (Dinner will be served.)
Where: City Park’s Botanical Gardens • Garden Study Center • May 23-24, 30; The ReFresh Project • Community Room (2nd Floor) • May 31
Why: New Orleans is the most deforested city in the United States! A healthy and dense urban forest is crucial to our ability to absorb stormwater, stop subsidence, reduce pollution and air temperatures, slow storm winds, and improve community health.
Come learn about what the urban forest is, how it protects us and impacts stormwater and the environment, and our role in replanting and maintaining it.
**Attendees must be able to attend all sessions to be eligible for enrollment.
Many classes will occur in the classroom and in the field in order to convey a deeper understanding of the landscape. Please be prepared to walk outside and in the sun.
- Dan Gill • Associate Professor, LSU AgCenter, School of Plant, Environmental and Soil Sciences • Pests & Disease and Best Pruning Practices
- Gaylan Williams • Landscape Architect, Dana Brown and Associates • Green Infrastructure and Trees
- Joe Evans • Principal and Horticulturalist, Evans and Lighter Landscape Architecture • Best Tree Species for New Orleans
- Jennifer Prout • Educator and Landscape Horticulturalist • How to Plant, Prune and Stake Trees
- Jennifer Roberts • Senior Planner, The Sewerage and Water Board of New Orleans • New Orleans Stormwater Systems
- Margee Green • Manager, NOCCA’s Press Street Gardens • Growing Fruit Trees in the City
- Robert Seeman • Program Director, Baton Rouge Green • Succession in the Forest and City
- Tim Benton • Owner & Arborist, Benton Tree Service • Tree Maintenance and Preservation
- Susannah Burley • Founder & Director, SOUL • Why our Urban Forest Matters
Lagniappe presentations by:
- Felice Lavergne • The Urban Conservancy • Front Yard Initiative