SOUL (Sustaining Our Urban Landscape) is driving a resilient and environmentally equitable New Orleans by reforesting our urban landscape.
What makes SOUL unique?
- We plant trees to serve as natural systems and infrastructure. We plant in clusters to better stave off flooding, reduce pollution, improve community health, and provide beauty and shade.
- We plant trees together with community members who drive the reforestation of their own community or neighborhood. SOUL trains block captains to canvass their neighborhoods and collect permits from homeowners.
- We oversee the planting of every tree and help ensure its successful growth. We provide tree guards for every tree to protect against weed-eater damage, the number one killer of trees.
- We map every tree we plant so that we can keep track of its progress.
- We also provide maintenance guidelines to every home/business that receives trees, and are always available to answer questions.
SOUL is a project of Multiplier.
Susannah Burley, Founder & Director
Susannah Burley has a Master’s of Landscape Architecture degree from Louisiana State University. From 2012-2016, she served as Program Director at Parkway Partners, a New Orleans-based non-profit, where she oversaw the ReLeaf tree planting program, the urban farms/community gardens program, schoolyard garden program, incubated their green infrastructure program, and hosted eighty four hours of community environmental education. She is a member of the Greater New Orleans Water Collaborative, serves on the board of Friends of Lafitte Greenway, and is passionate about working collaboratively with communities in driving resilient environmental change.
Susannah loves film, art, music, the outdoors, cooking, and traveling. She is married with a 4 year-old son, and a 25-year-old stepson, and a German Shepherd named Bernie.
You can reach Susannah by emailing her at email@example.com.