SOUL (Sustaining Our Urban Landscape) is driving a resilient and environmentally equitable New Orleans by reforesting our urban landscape.
What makes SOUL unique?
- We plant trees to serve as natural systems and infrastructure. We plant in clusters to better stave off flooding, reduce pollution, improve community health, and provide beauty and shade.
- We plant trees together with community members who drive the reforestation of their own community or neighborhood. SOUL trains block captains to canvass their neighborhoods and collect permits from homeowners.
- We oversee the planting of every tree and help ensure its successful growth. We provide tree guards for every tree to protect against weed-eater damage, the number one killer of trees.
- We map every tree we plant so that we can keep track of its progress.
- We also provide maintenance guidelines to every home/business that receives trees, and are always available to answer questions.
SOUL is a project of Multiplier.
Susannah Burley, Founder & Executive Director
Susannah Burley has a Master’s of Landscape Architecture degree from Louisiana State University. From 2012-2016, she served as Program Director at Parkway Partners, a New Orleans-based non-profit, where she oversaw the ReLeaf tree planting program, the urban farms/community gardens program, schoolyard garden program, incubated their green infrastructure program, and hosted eighty four hours of community environmental education. She is a member of the Greater New Orleans Water Collaborative, serves on the board of Friends of Lafitte Greenway, and is passionate about working collaboratively with communities in driving resilient environmental change.
In 2016 she founded SOUL in order to strategically reforest New Orleans at a meaningful scale and as a system.
Susannah loves film, art, music, the outdoors, cooking, and traveling. She is married with a 4 year-old son, and a 25-year-old stepson, and a German Shepherd named Bernie.
You can reach Susannah by emailing her at email@example.com.
Julia McClanahan, Program and Outreach Coordinator
Julia McClanahan earned her B.A. in Creative Advertising / Copywriting and Business from Virginia Commonwealth University in 2016. In her four years at university, she had the opportunity to work with The Climate Reality Project educating communities on the dangers of global climate change, as well as serving as the in-house copywriter for Hardwired, a Virginia-based nonprofit, in their work rescuing the female sex slaves taken captive by the terrorist group ISIS. Since relocating to New Orleans, her work has spanned from design agencies to plant nurseries…and now to SOUL! Her position as the Program and Outreach Coordinator for SOUL fuses her love of horticulture with her passionate drive to both empower and create an actionable, positive, and sustainable environmental impact on the world.
Julia is an avid poet, beer-lover, gardener, and thinker. She lives with her best friend, and can often be found endlessly biking around the city, or enjoying music of all kinds.
You can reach Julia by emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org
SOUL’s office is located in the Propeller Incubator, 4035 Washington Ave, New Orleans, LA 70125, Suite 206.