Job Description: Giving Officer
Reports to: Executive Director
Who We Are
Sustaining Our Urban Landscape (SOUL) was founded in 2016 with the mission of driving a resilient and environmentally equitable New Orleans through reforesting the city. SOUL engages community volunteers to plant trees and has installed 6,232 trees throughout its six planting seasons. The goal is for trees to act as natural systems and infrastructure to mitigate flooding, air pollution, and the heat island effect, while improving community health, and providing beauty and shade. SOUL is in a period of strong growth and operates with an entrepreneurial mindset. The work is tangible, rewarding, often challenging, and requires excellent interpersonal skills.
The Giving Officer is responsible for planning and implementing strategies for identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual donors to support the mission of Sustaining Our Urban Landscape (SOUL). The Giving Officer will focus on strategically expanding the organization’s annual giving program with a goal of significantly increasing the base of unrestricted annual gifts. This is a full-time exempt position. Hybrid office-home work will be considered after three months.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create a development audit
- Assess SOUL’s last three years of giving
- Analyze how to increase and improve giving
- Design and implement a comprehensive development plan to increase philanthropic support through donor renewal and acquisition
- Manage a portfolio of prospects
- Lead the Board to implement a plan for raising and diversifying funds in line with the organization’s mission
- Grow gap-to-goal fundraising
- Cultivate existing, and innovate new earned income revenue streams through development opportunities and implementation
- Build and maintain relationships with potential and new partners in the community, establishing pathways for expansion of development opportunities
- Work with Executive Director and Communications Coordinator to establish marketing, branding and development strategies that will enhance revenue from funders
- Oversee and update donor management software—Little Greenlight
- Design and implement annual giving events, including Giving Tuesday, GiveNOLA Day, End of Year Solicitation
- Manage SOUL’s annual fundraiser—Fall Treequinox Fundraiser
- Participate in tree planting events and other related events to identify and solicit philanthropic support
- Annual reporting—work alongside Executive Director to create annual report
- Create a legacy giving program and a gift acceptance policy
- Other responsibilities as assigned
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities, or requirements.
Education, Experience and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s Degree with 3-5 years of fundraising experience
- Experienced in engaging individual benefactors with demonstrated track record of executing successful annual fundraising campaigns
- Well versed in direct mail and digital solicitation best practices and implementation
- Ability to collect, organize and analyze data related to donor giving
- Proficient in donor management systems; knowledge of Little Greenlight a plus
- Excellent organizational, writing, and verbal communication skills
- Must be strategic, forward thinking, and adaptable
- Must be motivated and a self-starter
- Ability to handle multiple projects, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Positive attitude and passion for playing a role in fulfilling the organization’s mission
- Must have valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation to attend outside meetings
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed to attend meetings and events
Position requires sitting at a desk, but also requires attending tree plantings and fundraising events, helping to set up which involves lifting trees and other items up to 50 lbs.
Current benefits package includes health and dental insurance coverage for which the employee pays $100 per month of the premium for themself/individual plan, employer pays balance; IRA plan matched up to 3%; and specified paid holidays, sick days and generous paid vacation days.
SOUL’s office is located in Mid-City New Orleans.
How to Submit
Submit resume, cover letter and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Giving Officer Application—Your Name” in the subject line.
Position will remain open until filled.