Program Coordinator Job Description
Who We Are
Sustaining Our Urban Landscape (SOUL) was founded in 2016 with the mission of driving a resilient and environmentally equitable New Orleans through reforesting the city. SOUL engages community volunteers to plant trees and has installed over 4,600 trees throughout its five planting seasons. The goal is for trees to act as natural systems and infrastructure to mitigate flooding, reduce air pollution, improve community health, and provide beauty and shade. SOUL is in a period of strong growth and operates with an entrepreneurial mindset. The work is tangible, rewarding, often challenging, and requires excellent interpersonal skills.
The Program Coordinator will operate and expand SOUL’s Community Forestry Program. This is a full-time salaried position.
Primary duties include communications and community outreach, logistics, creation of planting plans, and partnering with the Department of Parks and Parkways. During the planting off-season, April-October, approximately 30-40% of the work occurs in the field. During planting season, October-March, approximately 50% of the work week occurs outside in the field. The position requires unloading and organizing trees in the field, so applicants should be able to lift thirty pounds.
Expand and Coordinate Community Forestry Program to plant 2,000 trees during the 2021-22 planting season (October through March)
- Draw planting plans for tree planting events
- Create a design that adheres to the community’s vision and SOUL’s commitment to resilience and environmental equity
- Draw planting plans/sketches that adhere to Parks and Parkways’ tree planting guidelines
- Work with Parks and Parkways in processing plans
- Update SOUL’s database after each planting
- Mark every planting location in advance of planting events
- Communicate with property owners and renters about tree locations
- Coordinate outreach/planning meetings with partner communities about tree plantings
- Communicate with neighborhood and City leaders about tree plantings
- Hand select trees at North Shore tree farms
- Communicate with watering subcontractor regarding watering routes and in-the-field maintenance needs
- Represent SOUL at community meetings and events
- Help facilitate SOUL’s annual Fall Treequinox Fundraiser
The Program Coordinator works closely with the Data and Volunteer Coordinator and Communications Coordinator.
The Program Coordinator reports to the Executive Director.
Planting season (October-March) hours are 5 days per week, including Saturday. Off-season (April-September) Monday through Friday. Saturday work days may be flexed during the calendar year. Communications Coordinator must be available for all planting and maintenance events and willing to adjust their schedule to accommodate events.
Required Skills and Experience
- Valid Louisiana driver’s license and clean driving record are required
- Background in landscape architecture, urban planning and/or horticulture is preferred
- Project management background is a plus
- Excellent problem solving and organizational skills is a must
- Ability to juggle a portfolio of projects in various stages of development
- Outstanding organizational abilities, including scheduling, event planning, logistics, etc.
- Ability to take direction
- Entrepreneurial mindset, willing to pitch in across the board, flexible, adaptable
- Cool under pressure, good conflict resolution skill
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Appreciation of quality visual design is a plus
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Ability to work flexible hours based on changing needs and weather conditions
- Desire to be a part of a fast-paced and rapidly growing non-profit organization
- Interest in and passion for environmental sustainability
- College degree is required in comparable field
Work Schedule and Compensation
The Program Coordinator position salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits and generous vacation are included.
How to Apply
Send an email with “Program Coordinator Position” that includes a resume and cover letter to Susannah Burley at firstname.lastname@example.org.