Who We Are
Sustaining Our Urban Landscape (SOUL) was founded in 2016 with the mission of driving a resilient and environmentally equitable New Orleans through reforesting the city. SOUL engages community volunteers to plant trees. The goal is for trees to act as natural systems and infrastructure to mitigate flooding, reduce air pollution, improve community health, and provide beauty and shade.
The Maintenance Technician is a contract position whose duties include watering and maintaining trees within designated project areas once per week for one year to ensure their proper establishment. Maintenance involves watering, staking and tying trees, mulching, fertilizing, pruning, fire ant treatment, replanting trees that have died, and other tasks that may arise. If the Contractor wishes to use SOUL’s pickup truck, they will be assigned to use one of SOUL’s pickup trucks for these duties and is responsible for maintaining the truck and equipment used to water trees. Contractor may also provide their own equipment providing it is sufficient.
The primary responsibilities of the Maintenance Technician are watering trees, maintaining the truck, and maintaining equipment.
The Maintenance Technician reports to the Program Coordinator.
Required Skills and Experience
- Valid Louisiana driver’s license and clean driving record are required
- Technical proficiency at using common tools and ability to research how to use new or unfamiliar tools and equipment
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Availability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Ability to work flexible hours based on changing needs and weather conditions
- Desire to be a part of a fast-paced and rapidly growing non-profit organization
- Interest in and passion for environmental sustainability is a plus
- Must be comfortable driving very large pickup truck and be a good driver
- Must be physically able to lift heavy objects and crawl in and out of truck bed
Work Schedule and Compensation
The Maintenance Technician role is a contractor position at $15/hour.
Contractors will accrue an average of 10-20 hours per week and are not to exceed 40 hours per week. The Maintenance Technician will work more hours during dry weeks, and fewer hours when there has been rainfall.
How to Apply
Send an email to email@example.com and explain why you are interested in this position, and include a resume if possible.