Data and Volunteer Manager Job Description
Who We Are
Sustaining Our Urban Landscape (SOUL) was founded in 2016 with the mission of driving a resilient and environmentally equitable New Orleans through reforesting the city. SOUL engages community volunteers to plant trees and has installed over 5,700 trees throughout its five planting seasons. The goal is for trees to act as natural systems and infrastructure and to mitigate flooding, reduce air pollution and air temperatures, improve community health, and provide beauty and shade. SOUL is in a period of strong growth and operates with an entrepreneurial mindset. The work is tangible, rewarding, often challenging, and requires excellent interpersonal skills.
The Data and Volunteer Manager is a full-time salaried position. Duties include volunteer recruitment and coordination, data gathering through MyTree LA and interpretation, and community outreach. During the planting off-season, April-October, approximately 75% of the position occurs in an office setting. During planting season, October-March, approximately 50% of the work week occurs outside in the field. The position requires unloading and organizing trees in the field, and the applicant should be able to lift at least thirty pounds.
- Collect, Interpret and Deliver Data
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers to tag trees and perform data input into MyTree LA
- Interpret data and prepare it for funders’ reports and for public consumption (website, social media)
- Update maps, databases and contact lists after each volunteer event
- Recruit, manage and track volunteers for tree planting, maintenance and mapping events
- Create logistics packages for volunteers to use at planting and maintenance events
- Acknowledge volunteers and sponsors following events
- Improve safety and training measures for volunteers
- Coordinate volunteers in the field during events
- Represent SOUL at community meetings and events
- Outreach to support tree-planting events (Example: securing basecamps locations for planting/maintenance events)
- Expand volunteer resources
- Help facilitate SOUL’s annual Fall Treequinox Fundraiser
The Data and Volunteer Manager will work closely with the Communications Manager and Program Manager in accomplishing their goals.
The Data and Volunteer Manager reports to the Executive Director.
Planting season (October-March) Hours are 5 days per week, including Saturday. Off-season (April-September) Monday through Friday. A weekday may be flexed to offset Saturday events.
The Data and Volunteer Manager must be available for all planting and maintenance events and willing to adjust their schedule to accommodate events.
Required Skills and Experience
- Valid Louisiana driver’s license and clean driving record are required
- Ability to juggle a portfolio of projects in various stages of development
- Outstanding organizational abilities, including scheduling, event planning, logistics, etc.
- Ability to coordinate volunteers who come from a variety of backgrounds
- Ability to take direction
- Entrepreneurial mindset, willing to pitch in across the board, flexible, adaptable
- Cool under pressure, good conflict resolution skill
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Ability to work flexible hours based on changing needs and weather conditions
- Desire to be a part of a fast-paced and rapidly growing non-profit organization
- Interest in and passion for environmental sustainability
- College degree is required in comparable field
Work Schedule and Compensation
The Data and Volunteer Manager position salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits and generous vacation are included.
How to Apply
Send an email that includes a resume and cover letter to Susannah Burley at email@example.com.